Monday 14 January 2013

Spinach, cucumber, olive salad

I have been craving salads lately.  I guess it is from all out of the ordinary choices I have been making lately when it comes to my food and, well an increase in alcohol consumption.  This is a simple salad that has a lot of good for you ingredients, which leaves your feeling energized and full without feeling stuffed.  I used chia seeds for the first time.  These little seeds have been getting quite the press over the past few years.  I was finally urged to try them when I saw Joy McCarthy on the Morning Show talking about five great smoothies.  She put chia seeds in a smoothie, which made me think that these little seeds not only are super nutritious -- omega-3, fiber, and protein-- could be used for a variety of ways.

Spinach, Cucumber, Olive Salad with Tahini Dressing

1/4 of an English Cucumber, cut into slices
1 cup of spinach
1 "chicken" breast, cooked and cut into pieces (I use Gardein's tuscan breast and just throw out the sauce)
1 tbsp of olives

Dressing:
3 tsp of tahini
Splash of lime juice
Dash of garlic powder
1 tsp of oil (safflower, olive, flaxseed)
1 tbsp of chia powder (or seeds)

Place all the salad ingredients into a medium bowl.  In a small bowl combine all the dressing ingredients.  Mix dressing with the salad for a delicious and refreshing bowl of goodness.


Enjoy!


M

No comments:

Post a Comment